A classic Provencal dish, this is a perfect way to make the most of summer’s harvest.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 medium yellow squash, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tomatoes, seeded, and cut into 6 pieces
- 2 teaspoons dried Herbes de Province (or a combination of oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, savory and/or lavender)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven until hot, but not smoky. Add onion; cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Combine the zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, and bell pepper in a large paper bag; dust with flour, fold bag closed, and shake to coat. Add floured vegetables to the pot, along with the tomatoes, herbs, salt, and pepper.
Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook gently for 1 hour, until all vegetables are tender.
Serve hot or at room temperature. Garnish with freshly chopped basil, if desired.